Llynheilyn, Foice Farm, Black Yatt, Cwm Kesty, and Gwaunceste Hill
Shorter Walk 6.5 miles (10km) Longer Walk 8.5 miles (13.5kms), 350m ascent. Allow 2.75/ 4 hrs
Llynheilyn, This beautiful lake lies at about 1250 feet above sea level, near the summit of the A44/A483 – the main road from England into central Wales.
A mainly upland and moorland walk that can be joined with walk No. 6 for those seeking a more strenuous walk with superb views.
Park beside Llynheilyn on A48l. Grid Ref. OS.l48.166582
WALK 18 Submitted by Raymond & Betty Lloyd, revised by Kevin Jones
(1) From the loop section of the parking, go into fir trees and scrub approx. 15m. to stile in fence. Cross and skirt the lake to a gate and from there go diagonally (L) to field gate in (LH) corner. Join metalled lane turning (R) and follow for 2km to reach Foice Farm.
(2) At Foice Farm, turn (R) onto uphill track passing through two gates to brow and keep ahead. Keep to path by fence. At brow of hill go half (R) on track to gate then bearing (L) diagonally to a stile on (L) halfway down the field, crossing onto open moor. Turn (R) with fence to (R) and downhill to join a bridleway where turn (R) and through a gate ahead to the ruins of Black Yatt near the trees. Continue down bridleway towards the (L) corner of the plantation ahead, crossing a ford and on by the side of the plantation to a second ford which cross.
(3) SHORTER WALK: Turn (R) at fence corner keeping fence on (R) and onto gate then down to ford and boggy area that is circumnavigated by keeping to its (L) side, down and through gate and ahead on main track. The route is undulating and through occasional gates and is approx. 2km to Four Stones reached at point (7). Recognition of this precise position is identified by two stony tracks converging onto the walked track as they come down the hill on (L).
(3) LONGER WALK: From point 3 continue straight ahead now on grassy track aiming for gate by 6-7 smallish trees. Keep same line forward until a sunken lane is joined which deviates slightly (L) then (R) through two gates into a field. Keeping to hedge on (R) and another gate passed, enter Cwm Kesty farm.
(4) Pass in front of the farm gate on your right and go through the gate in front (right of the stables). Cross a double stile and follow the farm track as it swings right, to the ruin of Blaen heath. Continue the same line until faced by two gates. Take the left one and follow the fence on the right. Continue this line until you go through a gate by some larches onto open land.
(5) Follow the fence right then cross leftwards to a rising green lane going round the hill. Follow this as it levels out and at a fence corner on the left you can see the trig point on your right.
(6) Go up to it and return, or continue ahead. The track follows a fence and then swings right. Soon you can see a gate ahead in front of a bwlch with five stones and a tumulus
(7) Cross over and ahead with stones on the (R) onto a grass track, ignoring all other paths. The route forward meets a gate at the fence and follows hill contour with, at first, the fence on (L) but moves to the (R) shortly. Path winds its way downhill through gates to reach starting point beside Llynheilyn.